A simple, healthy, no-cook recipe for oatmeal.
Pretty much every morning, we eat the same thing. Boring, I know. It's low-effort, cheap, nutritious, and delicious. The only caveat is that if you're eating it cold you have to prepare it the night before.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2/3 C Steel-Cut Oats
- 1 Heaping Spoonful of Ground Flax Meal
- 1 Heaping Spoonful of Nuts (walnuts or pumpkin seeds or both are great if you have them)
- 1 Heaping Spoonful of Dried Fruit (Usually raisins, but cherries, apricots, and fresh blueberries are all good)
- A Shake or Two of Cinnamon
1. Place all of the ingredients in a cereal bowl.
2. Mix everything up with a spoon.
3. Add plenty of water (you'll have to experiment to get this right - I usually just fill my bowl the rest of the way, but mileage will vary according to bowl size. The main thing is to make sure there's enough water for the oats to all become soft. I like mine with a little extra water because it becomes infused with all of the flavors.
4. Enjoy the next morning. (Don't forget to cover it up or put it in the fridge if you have pets or pests that might get into it!)Alternatively, you can put everything in a pot and simmer it until the steel-cut oats are soft enough to eat. This will usually be about 15 minutes if it wasn't soaked overnight or closer to 3 minutes if it was.