This really isn't chili by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't know what to call it. This is a pretty low-effort meal that makes a lot of food. It usually feeds us for 3-4 days. I use a pressure cooker (which isn't recommended when cooking rice, but we haven't had a problem with it yet). If you aren't using a pressure cooker, make sure you soak and cook your beans properly. This is a super flexible recipe and part of what keeps it interesting is swapping in and out ingredients. Anything marked with a * is an optional ingredient. Make sure you don't buy more than will fit in your pot!
Time Saving Tip: Use frozen chopped veggies if you can find them. Don't forget, there's no such thing as cheating at cooking.
- *2 C Brown Rice OR 15 oz. Hominy( if you use hominy, add it after the pressure cooking is done)
- Garlic (6 cloves if you like garlic, less if not)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp+ Cumin
- 2 C Black Beans
- * 1 lb Tomatillos, quartered and de-stemmed
- * 1-2 White Sweet Potatoes(yams are too sweet to me), any bad bits cut out and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- *Squash (Acorn, Butternut, or Kabocha)
- *Peppers (Bell, Pasilla, Poblano, etc..)
After Pressure Cooking:
- *Canned Green Chili Peppers
- *2-4 Carrots, chopped
- *1 Celery Bunch, chopped
- *Collard Greens, Cabbage, or Kale, chopped
- *Tomatoes, chopped
- *1 Can Simmer Sauce or Stewed Tomatoes
- *Juice of a Lime
- *Sour Cream
- *Jicama, chopped
1. Place all of the "Base Ingredients" in the pressure cooker. Check your cooker's instructions to make sure it isn't overfilled. Stir it up and cover the rice and beans with plenty of water.
2. Pressure cook according to the ingredient that needs the most time (usually the black beans).
3. Allow the cooker to depressurize naturally.
4. Add in your "After Pressure Cooking" ingredients and put on medium heat, stirring everything until it is mixed up and warm. If you want some of the added ingredients cooked (like the carrots), add these first and add anything you want crispy after they're mostly cooked.
5. Once it's warmed through, put into bowls and add your toppings.