With my stash empty and our next visit weeks away, I developed a serious craving for chocolate. These take a few minutes to make if you don't have a food processor, but they make a delicious treat, and they're pretty healthy for a dessert. This is a great recipe for experimenting with adding or removing spices, nuts, and whatever else you might think of.
- 12 pitted dates (add a few more if the dough just won't stick)
- 1/4 C rolled oats, chopped
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped fairly small (large chunks tend to fall out)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (I use crunchy)
- (set aside) ~2 tsp flax meal
- Knead the dates into a paste with your fingers. You'll end up with a big goo ball.
- Knead all of the ingredients except the flax meal into the mixture. It may be a little crumbly, but you should be able to pull off chunks of the "dough" and reform them into balls. If it just won't stick, work a few more dates into the mixture.
- Pull off bite-sized portions and form them into balls.
- Roll the balls in the flax meal
You should end up with about a dozen little bite-sized treats.